upper waypoint

Journalist Evan Ratliff Voice Cloned Himself. The Results Were Not What He Expected.

at
Save ArticleSave Article
Failed to save article

Please try again

Using easily available technology and artificial intelligence, Evan Ratliff created a voice clone that could answer calls, carry on conversations, and literally do his job. We talk to Ratliff…and his voice clone.  (Chris Delmas via Getty Images)

Busy and frazzled people often say, “I wish I could clone myself!” Journalist Evan Ratliff did just that. Using easily available technology and artificial intelligence, he created a voice clone that could answer calls, carry on conversations, and literally do his job. The brave new world he created spawned all sorts of weird and unsettling moments, like when his voice clones began talking to each other and making up a whole new life for him. Ratliff explores the experience in his new podcast, “Shell Game.” We talk to Ratliff…and his voice clone.

Guests:

Evan Ratliff, investigative journalist and host, "Shell Game" podcast; author, "The Mastermind: A True Story of Murder, Empire, and a New Kind of Crime Lord"; cofounder and editor in chief, Atavist magazine; former podcast host, "Longform"

Sponsored

lower waypoint
next waypoint